Tuesday, May 21, 2013

I Just Don't Get It


I have had more than a few friends tell me not only what a great, but also hilarious television series "Arrested Development" is/was. That coupled with the fact that Netflix is going to bring it back for fifteen new episodes, which would serve as a prelude to a feature film. Well now, that sounds to me like there must be something unique and exciting about the series to have all that going on for it.

What did I know about "Arrested Development" however? Virtually nothing. I knew it lasted three seasons on Fox and was canceled because of low ratings. I knew that the musical group Arrested Development sued and settled over the use of the name. I knew that it starred Jason Bateman, and that Ron Howard was somehow involved. That's it. Until very recently, I had never even seen one episode of "Arrested Development."

Seeing how the whole series, in anticipation of the new fourth season, was available on Netflix, I decided to give it a shot. Wow. As Queen Victoria was often said to say, I was not amused. This thing was just not funny, or at least just not funny to me. When described to me by friends, or read about online, it sounded hilarious, but actually watching it - nothing. Crickets, baby.

What confounded me the most is that there are cast members who are on other shows or other endeavors who I think are hysterical. There's Jessica Walter in "Archer," Portia de Rossi in "Better Off Ted," Michael Cera in some things, and David Cross in everything - yet in "Arrested Development," it's as if they are performing at a funeral.

I tried. I got through seventeen episodes before giving up, and not submitting to masochism. I just don't get it. The new season will be available on Netflix starting this Sunday, May the 26th.

1 comment:

  1. Heironymous1:05 PM

    What I find funny is this is the same way I felt about Mad Men. I was told by friends and critics this show was great. I would love it. So, like you, I began to watch it on Netflix, and still do not know what all the fuss is about.

    The same for Arrested Development. I understand it is supposed to be droll, witty, clever, but I have made 3 attempts to watch season #1 and I still don't get it. And I like droll, witty, clever. That's my thing. This show gave me a load of ???????!

    I guess there are shows that are created to hit a certain mindset and everyone else should just forget about it before your brain explodes.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete