Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance


Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ~ I'm in the minority. I'm one of the few people on Earth, other than Nicholas Cage, who liked the first Ghost Rider movie. There are folks who hate Cage, folks who disliked the mixing and matching of different Riders in it, and the campiness of it. I thought it worked. There was an earnestness that I liked, and honestly I'm not that well versed in GR continuity to argue those points. But I liked it.

When I heard Cage was making another one, I was pleased and couldn't wait to see it. I mean, really, how bad could it be? Now months later I finally get to see it on DVD. Wow. I was wrong.

There are moments of animation throughout that have promise, but they are only moments and soon replaced by the plodding terrible acting of Cage and the rest of the cast. He can be good, but here he's just phoning it in, long distance from a bad cell. Wow. Even terrific actors like Idris Elba and okay actors like Christopher Lambert are pulled down into this vortex of stink.

Even the special effect of a skull on fire is done badly here. Visually at least, this should have been as stunning as the first. The script is by David S. Goyer, so this is another craptacular for him to notch on his belt. When he's good, he's good, but when Goyer is bad... man oh man, is he bad. Avoid this flick.

3 comments:

  1. SO it's no Punisher: War Zone, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Without a doubt one of the worst movies of last year. Amazed this didn't clean house at the Razzies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who did not like the second film.

    ReplyDelete