Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lost Hits of the New Wave #25


"True Love, Pt. #2" by X



Man oh man, the sound and visuals are scratchy, but I still love it. I can remember a time way waaay back in early 1984 when I would wear out this track on More Fun in the Big World. I came to X quite late, and probably to many purists, this album, produced by Doors organist Ray Manzarek, represented the band selling out - but I loved it hard.

I don't know what it was about "True Love, Pt. #2," whether it was the driving groove, the medley vibe it had featuring "Black Betty" and "Freddie's Dead," or that it simply included the first song I ever learned to sing myself - "Skip to My Lou" - I thought it was da bomb.

X formed in Los Angeles (also the name of their perhaps greatest album) in 1977 as one of America's first punk rock bands. The charismatic line-up was composed of co-vocalists Exene Cervenka and John X. Doe, smiling guitarist Billy Zoom, and drummer DJ Bonebrake. From the 1980s through the 2000s they have released over a dozen albums (about half live and greatest hits, but hey they rule live), and today they still tour.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment