Thursday, May 17, 2012

Donna Summer 1948-2012

We've lost far too many folks this year already, and this morning, we lost the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer, this morning after a private battle with cancer. She was 63.

The multi-award-winning singer, also known for her stage, television and film work, came to prominence in the disco era, becoming the so-called queen of the genre. Her songs were the anthem of a generation. Songs like "Last Dance," "I Feel Love," "Hot Stuff," "Bad Girls," and "Love to Love You Baby" are the stuff of musical legend.

In my early teens at the height of her rein I remember listening to my brother's 8-track of her greatest hits "On the Radio," and still have favorites from that album. I also remember Dick Clark, another recent loss, letting her host an episode of "American Bandstand. I remember hearing about her character and subplot in Thank God It's Friday even though I wasn't allowed to see that flick in the theater. I also remember her comeback in the music video age with "She Works Hard for the Money."

Summer continued to perform until recently, despite being out of the public eye in America, she always charted in Europe over the years and toured frequently. The last time I saw her was when she performed with Prince Poppycock on "America's Got Talent" a couple years ago. She was just as fabulous as she had been in the seventies.

We have lost another legend. Donna Summer will be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment