Saturday, May 28, 2011

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

I love music, but I'm not a big jazz guy. I'm a writer, a published poet, I even run an online poet's group, but I'm not a poetry guy. I only like certain kinds of rap and hip hop, but I'm nowhere near what you would call a fan. All that said, I love Gil Scott-Heron.

Gil Scott-Heron was not a jack of many trades, but a king. He was one of the godfathers of rap, a brilliant jazz musician, a genius of spoken word, a poet, a performer, a social activist, and he was one of my favorite artists. He is one of the few artists of whose work I have worn out tapes and vinyl records of. I didn't always agree with him politically, but I love his way with words, ideas, sounds and grooves. He was a master.

The master passed away yesterday and we are all poorer for it. Whether you know him from "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised," the No Nukes concert, the songs "B-Movie" and "Re-Ron" during the Reagan Administration, "Whitey on the Moon" from the Howard Stern show or just from his phenomenal catalog of music - Gil Scott-Heron will be missed.

Below enjoy the song he's most known for, "The Revolution Will Not be Televised," and my personal favorite "17th Street."





Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment