Saturday, July 17, 2010

RIP Peter Fernandez

Award winning actor, voice actor, author, lyricist, writer and director Peter Fernandez passed away Thursday after a long battle with lung cancer. He was 83.

Peter Fernandez was the guiding force behind the Americanization of such anime classics as "Speed Racer," "Gigantor," "Astro Boy" and "Star Blazers," and also live action imports from Japan like "Ultraman," "Space Giants," "Mothra" and several of the Godzilla films from the 1960s. His early career was in radio on shows like "Gangbusters," "Mr. District Attorney" and "Superman."

More recently he had a small part in the big screen version of Speed Racer and a featured role in the newest incarnation of the animated series. Other recent work included "Kenny the Shark" and "Courage the Cowardly Dog."

I had the opportunity to interview the man at the New York Comic Con a few years back and it's one of my most cherished memories. I was nervous as hell but he was a very kind and generous, and understanding interviewee. Some of that interview is available here.

I have lost another huge chunk of my childhood, but I'm glad I was able to meet Mr. Fernandez, and at least tell him how much his work meant to me. He will be missed.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment