Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Twilight

Twilight ~ I’ve never had the pleasure (or displeasure depending on your perspective) of reading Stephanie Meyer’s “Twilight” books so I really had no idea of what to expect here other than teen angst and sparkly vampires. That said, I have to say that Twilight is really not bad at all. I had actually expected a bad movie from all the trashing it’s received and the critics’ usual contempt for anything with a pop culture vibe. This was a good movie however, not a great one, but a good one.

Twilight does skew to a younger demographic and while I had heard it was cast with all “90210” type pretty people, I have to say I found no one in this flick particularly attractive or unattractive, but that may just be me. The vibe of the flick is definitely “Afterschool Special” meets Judy Blume with some vampire stuff and intriguing special effects thrown in, but again, that’s not to say it’s bad.

The plot is pretty typical teenage fare. New girl in a new school trying to fit in, only the weird kids aren’t Goths, punks or geeks – they’re vampires. But that’s beside the point, everyone’s just trying to get along. Twilight high school is a whole lot different from the Mean Girls or “Lord of the Flies” high schools the rest of us went to apparently. And when the plot does take a turn toward something meatier, the good news is that Twilight doesn’t disappoint. Much. It just goes by too quickly. Good thing there are sequels.

Quite a bit of it is a bit predictable, even transparent, like the set-up for werewolves in the sequel New Moon, but it kept my attention, kept me watching, and now I am interested in the books, and the movie sequels, both finished and impending. Great soundtrack and worth seeing.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. A rather good review of the movie Glenn. I did read all 4 of the books and although I found the films to be lacking in some key character elements, they were enjoyable enough. The books are far better, but then again when aren`t they? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In most cases, the source material is always better than the movie, something I was keenly aware of while watching "Twilight," even though I hadn't read the books.

    It's actually my belief that rather than just do the book, however, it should be the film's job to add to the book experience, not in content, mind you, but in depth. A good example would be the last Harry Potter film.

    How do you think the two Twilight films did as far as that goes?

    ReplyDelete