Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dollhouse Saved

After a couple tense weeks, the news is out that Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" has been renewed for a second season on Fox.

Now there are folks who live and die by the word of Whedon, while a fan, I'm not one of them. I will be the first to say that "Dollhouse" is not one of his best productions. It's no "Firefly," (another Fox show by Whedon that was killed by the Friday night scifi death slot) and it certainly isn't "Buffy," but it did have its moments. Unfortunately those moments were few and far between. And I'm not just talking about Eliza Dushku.

We've seen twelve episodes so far, excluding the unaired pilot and the episode featuring Dr. Horrible star Felicia Day, and not many of them could keep my attention. I liked the one that riffed on "The Most Dangerous Game" and the ones that concerned Alpha, but that's about it.

And I think the problem is that all the episodes should have been about Alpha and the workings of the Dollhouse specifically. I found the episodes about the actives' missions to be boring standard TV fare but I was spellbound by the Alpha subplot, and the episodes that focused on that. Give us the good stuff, Joss, not the fluff we can get anywhere. Congrats and here's to better second season.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment