Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Confessions of a Mike Mignola Elitist


You're probably expecting a review of Hellboy II: The Golden Army that reflects on the differences between the film and the comics. Well, surprise, I can't do it.

I have a confession to make. I've only read two Hellboy comic books in my entire life, and those I read because they also included Starman, one of my favorite characters, so I didn't pay all that much attention to that Hellboy guy. Now trust me, that's no slight to writer/artist/creator Mike Mignola. Only a fool would dismiss the man's talent and position in the comics field, but I'm sorry, the man's style just never grabbed me. And if Mignola doesn't do it for me, why would I pick up one of his comics?

That said, I really enjoyed the first Hellboy movie as well as the animated pseudo-sequels Sword of Storms, Blood and Iron and The Phantom Claw. Suffice it to say, in the non-comics media, I love Hellboy, even though my knowledge of the characters and the continuity is limited to the movie experience.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army continues that tradition. I did have some trepidations regarding director Guillermo del Toro, especially after seeing Pan's Labyrinth which was just damned disturbing to me, and considering the amount of new creatures in this film - but didn't need to be. The flick is a glorious adventure into a new world of special effects. Wonderful and bizarre all at once, and with a quirky sense of humor - which I might add, Mike Mignola had no small part in as he was fully involved in the project. Highly recommended and lots of fun. And maybe I'll be picking up a Hellboy comic soon.



P.S. All Barry Manilow fans will love this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment