Tuesday, August 20, 2013

RIP Elmore Leonard


We have lost another living legend, this time a god among writers, award-winning novelist Elmore Leonard has passed away. He's written over fifty novels, a handful of short stories and screenplays. Movies and television shows have been made for dozens of his works.

Among his writings are some of the subtle masterpieces of our time, including Rum Punch (filmed as Jackie Brown), Gold Coast, The Big Bounce, Get Shorty, Be Cool, the short story 3:10 to Yuma (filmed twice), Out of Sight, 52 Pick-Up, Hombre, Mr. Majestyk, Riding the Rap, and more than a few novels that inspire the TV series "Justified."

When I think of the written western or crime fiction I think of Leonard as the master. When I was in college, and stubbornly insisting I wanted to be a writer, a professor told me, "If you want to write fiction, read Elmore Leonard," suggesting it was education by example.

I can't get it together to say much more. We have lost one of the greats. Click here and I'll share his ten rules of writing, quite possibly the best writing advice ever given. Elmore Leonard was one of the masters, and there'll never be another like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment