Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jonathan Frid Dead at 87

News came today that actor Jonathan Frid passed away last week from natural causes. He immortalized the role of gentleman vampire Barnabas Collins in the Gothic soap opera "Dark Shadows" in the 1960s and early 70s, as well in a theatrical film. Frid was 87.

Like Dick Clark, who passed away yesterday, Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins was a big part of my childhood. I have very vague memories of the show when it was actually on the air originally (I'm not that old) but I know my sister was a big fan. I can remember it being on when I came home from school in the afternoon, and I recall the haunting theme music from those days as well.

My real association with "Dark Shadows" corresponded with my first TV, a tiny black and white number I put on my bedside table. Local channel 48 had begun showing reruns of the show at 11:30 every night, starting from the episode where Branabas was introduced. Now "Dark Shadows" was on the air before that, and even had supernatural elements, but the show didn't really start rolling until everybody's favorite vampire showed up. I would watch whatever 48 was offering before at 11, be it "Mary Hartman," "Fernwood 2night" or "All That Glitters," and stay tuned for "Dark Shadows." It was, in many ways, the best hour on television back then. I can still remember the credits rolling just before midnight on the supposedly still DS set and seeing the coffin shake or a prop fall. Hey, the show was cheap, but serious in its way, and well loved.

Now Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are remaking the show as a campy movie spoof. I'm sure you've all seen the preview. I'm not going to comment, but I know that Jonathan Frid had seen it, and sources say he knew they would put their own spin on it. He actually even has a small walk-on cameo in the film. Time will tell. Jonathan Frid will be missed.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. You write the best blogs. You can write my eulogy when I die. That's if I'm not lost on facebook's timeline with Zeppie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are far too kind, Marie.

    ReplyDelete