Saturday, June 30, 2007

Silence Is Golden

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2005) - The original 1920 German silent film is one of my favorites, and as much as I dreaded seeing writer/director David Lee Fisher's new version I have to say I was mightily impressed.

While filmed in black and white on green screen sets which were projected onto the original sets to delightful effect, the disappointment comes with the addition of sound. I suppose it's a necessary evil now that we've left the silent era decades behind us, but in my opinion the story loses a bit of atmosphere with voices.

The lovely Lauren Birkell is worth the price of rental if only to gawk at. I just can't get my head around veteran voice actor Daamen J. Krall as Caligari however. The acting is fair, and there's enough screaming to give this one honorary Hammer status, but it doesn't make it uninteresting or involving.

Still, see it for the amazing backgrounds of the original transposed with new actors and dialogue. Better yet, just rent the original, it's a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment