Sunday, June 10, 2007

"The Groom Reaper"

I love John Waters. And not just his work, I love him. He's one of those individuals like George Orwell or Ernest Hemmingway or Paris Hilton that is as a person just as interesting (for good or bad) as their body of work. For John, it's for good. he's funny, quirky, smart and sly - my kind of person.

Like I said, I love John Waters, so imagine my surprise when I came across "'Til Death Do Us Part" on CourtTV. Now I don't normally watch CourtTV when they're not exploiting a case trial while in progress. I usually have the channel on while I'm writing during the day, or while on the gazelle with my iPod on - the advantage being if I look up I can always see the news crawl while concentrating on something else. And sometimes the trials get nutty. And Nancy Grace's biting sarcasm is always worth a hoot. Other than that, I pay it no mind.

But while surfing through the cable today I saw my man John Waters and stopped on CourtTV. "'Til Death Do Us Part" shows true cases where one spouse has murdered another, in dramatization form, with the names changed to protect the innocent, and John Waters is the host. He plays the, are you sitting down? - The Groom Reaper.

You could stop right there as far as I am concerned. That alone is a laugh worth having over and over again. It's beautiful. And the stories, told in twenty-two minute form are sooo campy. Campy enough to make John Waters or any John Waters fan proud. The acting and the writing actually remind me of "Divorce Court." Not the "DC" of today with a semi-real judge and real couples burnt in the "People's Court" mold, the "Divorce Court" of yesteryear. Back in the 1960s and 70s, "DC" was the master of melodrama, making even the soap operas green with envy - that's what this show is like.

Now I'm not sure if this is a new show or an old show but there were about eight of them that aired today. So check out your TV schedule for "'Til Death Do Us Part," it's a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment