Saturday, November 24, 2012

RIP Larry Hagman


Larry Hagman passed away yesterday from complications of his ongoing battle with cancer. The actor and director was 81.

The son of actress Mary Martin, he began acting early. From "Edge of Night" to "I Dream of Jeannie" to "Dallas" to "Nip/Tuck" and back to "Dallas" again, he has had a fairly steady career for decades.

Throughout numerous television roles and even a few movie roles (I still have a warm spot in my heart for his appearance in the 1970s Blob sequel), he will be best remembered as the villainous oilman J.R. Ewing. The mystery of who shot him at the end of season three of "Dallas" was one of the most talked about television stunts in history.

While most memorable as J.R., I will have to agree with my friends Taryn and Ian in that I will always remember him as Major Tony Nelson on "I Dream of Jeannie." Maybe it's my age, or a wish to remember him as a good amusing guy, but I will miss 'Master' the most. An American television icon, Larry Hagman will be missed.

A slightly different and more detailed version of this post appeared earlier today here at the Biff Bam Pop! website.

No comments:

Post a Comment