Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ted


Ted ~ The Bride and I watch Seth McFarlane's "Family Guy" every week, and enjoy it quite a bit. That said, about every two to three weeks we have a discussion about how maybe we're not going to watch it any more. I'm a fan of 'cringe humor,' which McFarlane excels at, heck, I listen to Opie and Anthony every day, but The Bride isn't, and doesn't. Sometimes "Family Guy" just goes too far for her.

When I first heard of Ted, McFarlane's jump to big screens, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but I knew The Bride wouldn't be coming with me to see it. All that said, I laughed out loud at this movie. I don't do that all that often. I did it at The Three Stooges, but before that? We're talking maybe years.

The concept is one of a little boy with no friends who wishes his teddy bear was real, and lo and behold, the wish comes true. This is the tale of what happens when said boy, and bear, grow up. Mark Wahlberg makes a fine comedic turn as the boy, grown to drug and alcohol induced irresponsibility with his bear Ted, voiced by writer/director McFarlane. "Family Guy" alumnus Mila Kunis plays Wahlberg's long suffering and patient girlfriend of four years. All involved are quite good.

Ted is funny, dirty, cringe worthy, and yes, believe it or not, even heartwarming. Speaking of laughing out loud, in a semi-full theater, it was only me and two women up front who were doing so. I felt a little dirty about it, but maybe everyone else was from the PTA or they just couldn't get into the latest chick flick.

If you're a "Family Guy" fan or if you liked movies like The Hangover or Bridesmaids, you will love Ted, recommended. And if you liked Airplane, or especially 1980's Flash Gordon, this is must see. No ifs, ands or buts, must see.

2 comments: