Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Future Will Be Televised


The Matt Groening and David X. Cohen series "Futurama" will be airing on Comedy Central starting this week. It's rumored to be one of the network's most expensive syndication purchases.

I'm a big fan of the show and despite it running in syndication for quite a while I still haven't seen all of them, and I look forward to catching up. The animated series, revolving around a slacker from the 20th century unfrozen in the 30th, has a slightly more subversive sense of humor than "The Simpsons." Its humor, characters and references more nerdy and more evil - making it right up my alley.

What has really caught my attention is the advertising campaign Comedy Central has been using for "Futurama." It's a play on the song "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" by equally revolutionary jazz artist Gil Scott-Heron whose work I love as much as a poor white boy from the 'burbs can love such stuff. Somebody at Comedy Central knows the true meaning of cool, and the future will be televised.

1 comment: