Monday, April 01, 2013

Orphan Black - Don't Believe the Hype


BBC America has been pushing this at us for quite some time now. The impression is that this is the next big thing, and you better get on board right away. There has been little description of what is actually was about until very recently. It finally premiered this past Saturday night, right after the much anticipated debut of the second half of the seventh season of "Doctor Who." My first impression - don't believe the hype.

It sounds like it might be fun. A woman finds out she may have been cloned and has multiple clones of herself walking around living different lives. The actress Tatiana Maslany is certainly charismatic, and versatile to be playing various characters against herself. And it's shot in Toronto, a city I share somewhat of a kinship with as Biff Bam Pop! is based there. These are good things, but there's really little here that kept me interested. It's predictable, and that is something that the next big thing really shouldn't be.

One episode, filled with violence and sex, and the usual scifi trappings, and it just didn't grab me. I'll look forward to "Doctor Who" next week, and "Copper" later in the year until BBC America can give me something to really get excited about.

But that's me. For another view, you can hop on over to the aforementioned Biff Bam Pop! and check out my friend's Marie Gilbert's review.

No comments:

Post a Comment