Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Lost Hits of the New Wave #18


"What Do All The People Know?" by The Monroes

The Bride loves the New Wave, and the Alternative. In many ways, she's still living in the 1980s. So I was quite surprised some time ago, while we were in the ShopRite, and this tune was on the overhead speakers, she had never heard of it.

I remember it quite well, and even remember seeing this segment from the Merv Griffin show back in 1982, not lipsynced, rare for that time. Back in the day, before MTV, or before everyone had it, Merv was one of the ways to see new music and new bands. I think on Fridays, the legendary Friday Morning Quarterback, Cherry Hill native, Cal Rudman would come on and introduce new bands.

The Monroes were a San Diego synthpop band who only had this one hit wonder, and toured throughout the eighties with folks like Rick Springfield, Toto, and Greg Kihn. Band members left one at a time until they broke up completely in 1988.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:42 PM

    I love this tune! Not long ago, I sent a link to it to my friend, slam poet Michael Monroe, who was amused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 PM

    They certainly followed their own style path. This type of music (& look) makes me glad the 80s are over.

    ReplyDelete