Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Hot Fuzz


Don't get me wrong, I love these guys. I'm a huge fan of Shaun of the Dead, as well as "Spaced" and even that terrible "Red Dwarf" wannabe that Nick Frost was in. Like I said, I love these guys. That said, Hot Fuzz was not what I expected.

The ads and previews make it out to be sort of like Airplane or "Police Squad!" only in a decidedly British vibe. There is a lot of that, and a lot of Shawn too. Like Almodovar or Robert Rodriguez they is much the same cast, sometimes in almost the same part, like the husband and wife pub owners. The flavor is there as well, but.

Well, in the middle of this police comedy, the flick kinda turns into a vintage Hammer horror. Again, don't get me wrong. I'm a big Hammer fan, and the boys pull off a great homage, but... I was left wondering, until the movie clicked back into police comedy mode, what the hell it was doing there. It was one hell of a ten to fifteen minute non-sequitor. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but my bride was giving me that look. You know the look that says, "You said this was a comedy, not a horror movie" and "Boy, are you going to get it when we get home."

Still, Hot Fuzz was very good, despite the slip into Hammer territory and the over the top gore effects (Timothy Dalton's fate was my favorite). Check it out, it's worth it, just brace yourself for a different kind of flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment