Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lost Hits of the New Wave #10

"Turn the Other Way Around" by Quincy



You know all that 1970s movies and television about teenagers in high school just hanging out? You know how every kid represented a stereotype or a character type? There was always the one geeky kid who was carrying a radio or sometimes even an early boombox whose entire life revolved around that radio? Yeah, that was me circa 1979-1980 and later unfortunately. It's true, I was almost "Angie Baby."

I used to play this game with my friends, where they would turn the dial from one end of the FM band to the other, stopping at each broadcasting station, and if it was music, I would have to, and usually could name the song title, the artist, and sometimes the album. So yeah, there was a time when I was a vast storehouse of useless knowledge for not just comics, but also pop music.

That running from band end to band end made me discover a whole new world before 92.5 FM (at the time WIFI, a top 40 outlet), - college radio. One of the first new bands I heard on these buried treasure radio stations playing music I had never heard before was local band Quincy.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment