Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Savage Dragon Endorses Barack Obama



From Comics Continuum:

SAVAGE DRAGON BACKS OBAMA

Image Comics has revealed that in Savage Dragon #137, the lead character will endorse Democrat Barack Obama for president with a special variant cover.

"Four years ago the Dragon was a reluctant presidential candidate," Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen said. "Fans have asked if he'll be running again, but given the importance of the upcoming election it seemed appropriate that he would back Barack Obama, the candidate whose politics most reflect his own. Savage Dragon will be giving Barack Obama his full support."

Savage Dragon made his initial play for the presidential election in the 2004 campaign, but rescinded once the man claiming to be his running mate turned out to be Dreadknight, a supervillain bent on world domination.

Savage Dragon #137 will sport a special 1:5 variant cover featuring Dragon formally endorsing Obama.

The issue will be in stores on Sept. 3.


I really dislike talking politics on this blog but I figured I should say something about this.

Personally I am myself leaning toward Barack Obama this election. I'm not a follower of party lines but more of what is actually said and done. I think Obama is a good man.

Likewise, at different points in the Savage Dragon's publishing history I have followed the character's adventures. The Dragon's creator, Erik Larsen, is an amazing force in the comics industry. Sometimes I am in awe of his business savvy and creativity, and sometimes I am stunned by his outspokenness and outright stupidity (at least to my mind).

My main question and confusion comes from the idea that anyone would take the endorsement by a fictional character seriously...

Well, "Laugh-In" helped Nixon and "Arsenio Hall" helped Clinton... who's to say that a front cover endorsement in Savage Dragon #137 won't get Barack Obama elected?

No comments:

Post a Comment