Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thor The Dark World


Thor The Dark World ~ Any Marvel movie at this point is an event, not just a promised blockbuster, but a legitimate mainstream event. Everyone wants to see the next big Marvel movie, and with the news this past week of Netflix's picking up five different Marvel Comics projects as live action additions to their streaming own line-up that includes "House of Cards," "Orange Is the New Black," and "Arrested Development," the next Marvel movie is big, and that movie is Thor The Dark World, a movie so big, it opened alone this weekend.

One thing I was happy to see, that even though the Marvel superheroes are now part of everyday pop culture and even your grandmom is aware of Thor, the powers that be aren't afraid to mine the source material for ideas rather than going off on a weird Hollywood tangent. One of the best Thor runs in the comics, other than the classic Stan Lee/Jack Kirby originals, would be the Walt Simonson run in the 1980s. Simonson did so much in his short run. He brought the character back to his roots, removed Don Blake from the equation, turned our hero into a frog, froze the planet, brought on both Surtur and the Midgard Serpent - and he also created Malekith and Kurse.

These two new characters were among the most powerful and dangerous the god of thunder had ever fought in the comics, making them more than adequate fodder for movie villains. I was more than pleased with former Doctor Christopher Eccleston as Malekith and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje from HBO's "Oz" as Kurse, but I just wish they had had more to do and less make-up, as they're both terrific actors. In both cases, Kurse more so, the make up hindered their performances.

Sadly, what I said about source material goes by the wayside quite quickly. In the comics, Malekith releases Surtur and opens the Cask of Ancient Winters amongst other evils, but here, it is a mysterious aether that is the MacGuffin and magical weapon of choice. I really got the sense, especially when seeing that a different group of folks wrote the screenplay than wrote the story, that this was a plot from something else that had been transplanted into this Thor movie - sort of like how 1987's Masters of the Universe flick was a rewritten abandoned New Gods script.

Nevertheless, I like Thor The Dark World quite a bit. The cast was back in full force, and Chris Hemsworth seemed more comfortable in the title role this time, Natalie Portman was not as annoying, and as always Tom Hiddleston steals the show as Loki. I did think Anthony Hopkins looked a bit tired, and I was glad to see Idris Elba getting more screen time as Heimdall. I like Kat Dennings more every time I see her, sigh, I guess I'll have to break down and watch that "2 Broke Girls" show. I was also delighted to see Chris O'Dowd, as well as (spoilers) Chris Evans.

I really enjoyed the movie, despite it sorta taking a lighter, more Avengers tone than the first Kenneth Branaugh directed film. I liked the new language of the Dark Elves, I liked their spaceships, and their weapons, especially the space warp bombs. It was a bit of a distraction to have guns going 'pew-pew' and I freely admit to saying out loud at one point, "Coruscant is under attack, where're the Jedis?" Now, that said, the first movie made a concerted effort to explain that Asgard was not magic, but technology so advanced it appeared to be magic, so this does fit the Marvel Cinematic continuity.

Thor The Dark World was really cool, I'd see it again, and I'll definitely get it for home viewing when it comes out. I didn't think it needed much improvement, but female friends we ran into after the flick, as well as The Bride, all commented on the same thing regarding Chris Hemsworth. More bare chest. And butt, more butt. On that note, don't forget to stay for the after credits stingers, this time there are two.

4 comments:

  1. http://derricklferguson.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/thor-the-dark-world/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, DF. :-)

    I need to tell you that my level of respect for your opinion is such that as soon as I posted my review, the first place I went -before you even commented here- was to your review to see what you thought.

    You hit on different aspects of the flick, but we both agree on one thing, see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of realms have a north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brady Blankemeyer5:28 PM

    Sorry but I did not like the meddling of Skywalker Studios in this one. Which I agreed with your Coruscant is under attack, I kept seeing that every time the Elves appeared.

    I guess I was not ready to accept this sort of thing in the Thor universe, it just really seemed off to me having those ships and that technology mixing in with Mythology.

    The comedy was in low amounts but acceptable to liven up the dull beginning.

    ReplyDelete