Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Jim Carroll 1950-2009

Wow. This one is going to be hard. I've done a lot of these types of entries this year, but Jim Carroll was a hero of mine.

I don't remember how I first got turned on to Jim Carroll's "The Basketball Diaries," but I read that book ragged, and after that "Living at the Movies" got me interested in poetry as more than a hobby. I remember the girl I was dating who told me he was also a singer and that opened up a whole new world for me. "People Who Died" resonated strongly for me as so many in the song were also in his written work. In the years that followed I devoured his albums and books.

Jim Carroll - writer, pioneer, musician, poet, memoirist, actor, performer, voice of a generation, hero - passed away this past Friday night from a heart attack. He will be missed, terribly.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment