Wednesday, May 14, 2003

The Wedding Singer

ONLY FOR DREW

A Video Review of The Wedding Singer

Copyright 2002 Glenn Walker

This one has got so many things that should make me hate it. It's got karaoke, it's a sappy love story and most of all it's got Adam Sandler - the kiss of death. But, I do kinda like it, if only for Drew Barrymore.

I think I might actually even pay to see Ms. Barrymore read the phone book in a muumuu. Even though Adam Sandler is in this, it is better than the phone book muumuu thing.

I love 1980s music, not enough to listen to radio stations that program eighties music (sorry, there's only so many times a sane mind can hear "Hey Mickey" and "Safety Dance" in one day before going on a shooting spree) but I did grow up in the time so it holds a warm spot in my heart.



Sandler doesn't use any stupid voices or act mentally retarded and is tolerable as The Wedding Singer who falls for a waitress (the irrepressible Drew) about to get married. Everything works out for the best (duh) and we get a lovely cameo by Billy Idol (my god, that must be one hell of a painting he's got in his attic) who helps Sandler court Drew and a whole lot of eighties music. This soundtrack is like a K-Tel album from hell.

Christine Taylor (Marcia of The Brady Bunch) is sexy as ever and Steve Buscemi (as always) steals the movie by being the Steve Buscemi-est. And don't miss the old lady doing karaoke of "Rappers Delight." Get the DVD, corny as it sounds, the DVD has karaoke and it's funny.

Come for the music, stay for the Drew, you won't regret it.

The above previously published at Project: Popcorn
http://www.whitevioletpictures.com/popcorn

For more of my movie reviews check out:
Comic Widows at
http://www.comicwidows.com
or the Internet Movie Database at
http://www.imdb.com

Contact me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment